Southern Pacific Boxcar Class B-50-13
Southern Pacific Railroad box car #28148, class B-50-13, was built in 1923 by the Standard Steel Car Co. To the best of our knowledge, this is the only existing car of this class out of thousands built. The car was located in 1967 by Brad LaRose. In 1991, the San San Luis Obispo Railroad Museum was founded and on 12-20-2000, museum president curator Brad LaRose accepted donation of the car to the museum. In November 2019, Mr. Bill Walther made a donation to the museum for the restoration of the car. After basic car restoration has taken place, the inside the car will be developed into The Southern Pacific Railroad Theater, Featuring the People of S.P, along with an exhibit area and storage area.
Planning for the restoration is in progress and preparation of the car for restoration has started with the removal stored artifacts from inside the car. The car has also been moved to the north end of the work track within the museum’s Emily St. Yard. This will give our volunteer restoration team members area to work around the car. Car work will include roof metal and water protection treatments, exterior metal and wood repairs, epoxy and painting to wood surfaces inside and outside and metal fabrication for restoration where needed. The car is complete and will be restored to operational status as it came off the railroad circa 1956.
Additional financial donations and welcomed help with the restoration work are very gladly accepted. It will be a fun project!