Plymouth Diesel Switcher #2038
This Plymouth 20-ton switcher was purchased by the Army Corps of Engineers in April 1941 to develop and supply Camp Roberts, near San Miguel in San Luis Obispo County. Operated by the Quarter Master Corps as #Q.M.C. 2038, the locomotive switched railroad cars of munitions and supplies for over 430,000 soldiers who were trained at the camp during World War II. It was the only locomotive operated at Camp Roberts. After being declared surplus and sold, the little diesel spent time at a construction company, a quarry, and a caboose-themed lodging facility in the Sacramento Valley. On September 21, 2018, Dwight Peterson Trucking delivered this acquisition to our display track. After some careful aligning and winching, #2038 touched its new home rails.
Ownership: Transferred from the Army Quartermaster Corps for sale by the War Assets Administration as of March 1947. Purchased by A. Teichert & Sons, Sacramento, CA on December 2, 1948. Purchased by El Dorado Lime and Mineral Co., Shingle Springs, California, on June 4, 1952. Possibly owned by Jim Dobbas, Inc., Newcastle, California, unknown dates. Purchased by Boyd Olney Jr. circa 1998. Inherited by Boyd’s son, David Olney, circa 2016.