WIG WAG CROSSING SIGNAL
LOWER QUADRANT STYLE
The “Magnetic Flagman” or Wig Wag Signal, as it is commonly known, was seen all over California and the western states. It was designed by Albert Hunt of the Pacific Electric Railway in 1910. The Magnetic Signal Company located in Los Angeles, California, manufactured the Wig Wag Crossing Signal from 1914 to 1949 and built over 7000 wig wag signals. This wig wag is a lower quadrant “Southern Pacific” style model #3 and was mainly used by the SP Railroad and the PE Railway to protect railroad grade crossings. This particular wig wag signal was found in a backyard in Atascadero and was donated to the museum. It possibly was used locally at the Curbaril Street grade crossing in Atascadero on the Southern Pacific Coast Division.